Title: Manager Legal
Reporting into: CEO
To oversee the legal aspects of the business. Will safeguard the company’s reputation by guaranteeing that the company strictly follows law guidelines and give legal advice to management about all relevant issues from time to time.
Individual needs to effectively ensure legal conformity and minimize the probability of exposure.
Provide legal support and represent the company in certain civil litigation and perform certain corporate duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Give accurate and timely counsel to executives in a variety of legal topics (labour law, partnerships, international ventures, corporate finance etc.)
- Collaborate with management to devise efficient defence strategies
- Specify internal governance policies and regularly monitor compliance
- Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations
- Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advise on possible legal issues
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties (regulators, external counsel, public authority etc.), creating relations of trust
- Draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the company’s full legal rights
- Deal with complex matters with multiple stakeholders and forces
- Provide clarification on legal language or specifications to everyone in the organization
- Conduct your work with integrity and responsibility
- Maintain current knowledge of alterations in legislation
- Initiate and pursue legal proceedings as required by the Company i.e., prepare writs, defences, submissions and other pleadings in civil cases both “for and against” the Company.
- Prepare, file and plead cases in Commercial Court in pursuit of amounts owed to the Company.
- Advise on civil matters that should be directed to external counsel.
- Liaise with and assist external Counsel in the discharge of their obligation to GPL.
- File oppositions in matters where the title is being passed or property are being encumbered and there are arrears due and payable to the Company.
- Advise on statutory compliances.
- Research and prepare legal opinions on various civil matters including claims for compensation against the Company.
- Submit all judgments to the Legal Officer supporting the Loss Reduction Division diligently.
- Submit quarterly work reports to Management and the Board of Directors.
- Submit quarterly reports on targets achieved together with an appraisal report to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Cause to be maintained, a database of the status of all court matters involving the Company.
- Represent the Company at Arbitration and Public Utilities Commission hearings.
- Assist in the formulation, implementation and/or amendment of Company policies.
- Draft, amend, review and/or recommend modifications to the electricity sector or related laws and regulations governing the Company.
- Perform duties as Secretary to Management Committee, Management Tender Board and all subcommittees of Management Committee.
- Provide sound legal advice to the Company and make recommendations to Management as necessary.
- Attend special committee meetings and offer advice as required. The above shall relate exclusively to 1. Commercial Services matters including reviewing Inactive Accounts, 2. T & D matters 3. Procurement/Contract matters 4. Civil Actions 5. Human Resources/employment matters 6. PUC matters
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Proven experience as a legal counsel in the business environment
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures
- Full comprehension of the influences of the external environment of a corporation
- Demonstrated ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Sound judgement and ability to analyse situations and information
- Outstanding communication skills
- BSc degree in Law or J.D. degree
- MA or BSc in Business Administration will be considered an advantage;
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Maintains a valid Drivers License.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Works under the broad policy guidance and direction of the CEO.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR INTERNAL & EXTERNAL CONTACT
- Daily contact requiring courtesy, discretion, and sound judgment.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Mainframe computer terminal including financial and payroll software, the personal computer including spreadsheet and word processing software, copy machine, fax machine, 10-key calculator and telephone.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, colour vision, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT and ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.